Snoring while sleeping is not sound sleep, It is trouble sleep. Snoring is low-pitched sound caused by vibration of soft tissues inside throat during sleep.
Sleep apnea is characterized by cessation airflow due to blockage of the airway by soft tissue collapse inside the throat, It would be soft palate, back of tongue, epiglottis, and combination of their structures. During these periods of obstruction, the oxygen level in blood can drop to dangerously low level. Sleep apnea is also one of the cause for future development of high blood pressure, heart attack and stroke.
o Excessive daytime sleepiness
o Witnessed breath holds
o Gasping and choking
o Unrefreshing sleep
o Mood changes
Indications for Surgery
• Severe, antisocial snoring which causing family disharmony needs surgical treatment.
• Patients those who are not happy in using CPAP needs surgery.
• Minimally invasive treatment options like Ablation tissue volume reduction can be done outpatient basis, the patient can be discharged on the same day.
• Palatal surgery which can be done with Laser, collation or radio frequency needs 2-3 day stay in a hospital.
• When the patient having multi-level obstruction/collapse needs multilevel surgery like tongue base reduction, epiglottoplasty.