Adenoids are a soft tissues located behind the nose, made up off lymph tissue. Usually adenoids shrink during adolescence and may disappear by Adulthood. In few cases Enlarged Adenoids can block Nasal breathing and contribute to Middle Ear fluid ear and Sinus infections. Adenoid removals and tonsillectomies often performed together.
- Ear Infections
- Sore throat
- Difficulty breathing through nose
- Mouth breathing
- Difficulty swallowing
- Sleep Apnea
Adenoidectomy is usually permormed through the mouth by making a small incision under general anesthesia. Patient will be discharged on the same day itself or the next day. Medication is prescribed to reduce pain and swelling. Patient may be completely recovered within one-two weeks after the surgery. During recovering period(i.e.. 1-2 weeks) patient may experience sore throat and it is quiet normal after surgery.
Post Operative Instructions
- Taking large amount of fluids may help to avoid dehydration and to get recovered faster
- Slowly semi-fluids may be taken and child/spicy/crunchy foods have to be avoided completely during these recovery period
- No strenuous activity to be performed up to 1-2 weeks.
- Patient may return to his regular activities with in one week after surgery and after consulting doctor